Emergency Help

We all hope that when going away everything will go to plan, but sometimes it doesn’t – which is why Travel Insurance can be a good idea.

Before you go

Before you even set foot in the airport there are a few things you should consider doing:

  • Leave a copy of your policy details and itinerary with a friend or relative in case they need to contact the Assistance Line on your behalf.
  • Research arrangements for Mountain Rescue in the area you are travelling. Outside the UK, depending on where you are travelling, this may be provided by specialist mountain rescue teams, park rangers or the military. Make sure you have the correct phone number with you at all times.
  • If you are travelling in Europe, make sure you have a current European Health Insurance Card.
  • If you are travelling in Australia and your trip is longer than 31 days you need to register with Medicare, else fill a form at the hospital whilst you are receiving treatment.

Whilst away

If the worst does happen, you need to make sure you contact the right people so that help reaches you as quickly as possible.

Emergency Assistance:

  1. Contact the relevant local emergency services first
  2. Once this has been arranged, contact the Assistance Line so that they can get involved once you have been taken to an appropriate medical facility.

    Collinson Medical Assistance Team +44 207 111 1101

Read emergency medical and safety advice

Medical Assistance:

If you simply need medical treatment whilst away, or the emergency services have already brought you to a local hospital, you should contact the Assistance Line as soon as possible. Make sure you keep them informed of any changes in your treatment.

For those travelling to the USA: We recommend contacting our Assistance Line before making any payment to hospitals, etc. If you pay your initial hospital bills yourself it is likely that all subsequent bills will be sent to you, despite getting the Assistance Line involved.

Useful contacts

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office travel advice can be found on the following website