Buying online

Q. I’m travelling today. Can I get instant cover and policy documents?
A. As soon as your credit or debit card details have been accepted, confirmation of your cover is provided on screen, and to the email address you have given. You can also choose to get a text with cover details to your mobile. Provided you have your unique insurance ID number, 24 hour emergency contact number and claims number, you have all the basic information you need.
Q. Can I travel without my documents?
A. Yes you can. Your policy number is all that is needed for proof of insurance when travelling. It is however, recommended that you take your documents with you for information and also for when you are asked for brief details of your policy cover. Your Policy Schedule has your BMC Insurance Card attached. This card can be kept in your pocket and has the important telephone numbers you might need in an emergency.
Q. When does my cover begin?
A. If you are buying a Single Trip policy, your cancellation cover begins instantly. Insurance cover under all other sections begins on the policy start date. If you are buying an Annual Multi-Trip policy, your cancellation cover begins on the policy start date. You can choose when your cover begins (up to 45 days in the future). If you have already booked a holiday, and have no other travel insurance arrangements in force, you should ensure your policy starts immediately, so you are covered for cancellation.
Q. How do I renew my Annual Multi-Trip policy?
A. BMC will remind you about 3 weeks before your policy expires, and offer you the opportunity to buy another policy by post, telephone or internet.
Q. I'm not a member, does this matter?
A. You will need to be a BMC, MS or MI member to take out our travel insurance, but it’s easy to join the BMC as part of your insurance application
Q. What is an affiliated member?
A. Types of affiliated BMC members include: members of clubs affiliated to the BMC, MS or MI who have paid their club membership subscription, and associate or trade members and their staff.
Q. Are my card details safe?
A. Yes. The final stage of the buying process takes place over a secure connection to Sagepay, our online payment provider.
Q. I'm claiming concessions rate for membership – do you need proof right now?
A. No. But proof will be needed in the event of an insurance claim. If proof is insufficient your insurance will be void.
Q. How can I take out more than one policy?
A. You can only apply for one policy at a time (or one family or couples policy). If you’re taking out insurance for a large group it may be easier to ring the BMC office.
Q. How soon will the insurance take effect?
A. Your credit card is debited immediately, and we’ll endeavour to process the insurance the next working day. You’re covered as soon as your credit card payment is authorised online and you receive the confirmation email. Full policy details will be posted.
Q. I haven’t received my confirmation email…
A. Please check your spam filters. If you haven’t received an email within 12 hours, please contact the office.
Q. What’s my policy number?
A. Your policy number and documents are posted out on the same or next working day. We cannot presently issue a policy number online. However in the event of a claim in the meantime, you can simply use the unique insurance ID number (in your confirmation email) for assistance.
Q. I'm at the airport now – will I be covered?
A. Yes, as long as you complete the application and pay for your policy before you leave the UK.
Q. I'm already abroad – can I buy or renew cover?
A. No. The exception is for annual policies, these can be renewed whilst still abroad as long as you complete the application and pay before the original policy has expired so that there is no gap in cover.
Q. I live overseas. Can I buy BMC Travel Insurance?
A. No, only residents of United Kingdom, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man can buy insurance from the BMC.

About the cover

Q. What countries are included in ‘European’ cover?
A. The United Kingdom, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Channel Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Faroe Islands, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Isle of Man, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira, Mediterranean Islands (including Majorca, Menorca, Ibiza, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, Malta, Gozo; Crete, Rhodes and other Greek Islands, Northern and Southern Cyprus), Moldova, Monaco, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway (excluding Svalbard), Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Russian Federation (West of Urals), Serbia and Montenegro, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the Ukraine (Albania, although in Europe, is excluded from our definition.
Q. How about cover for travel to Albania, Morocco & Tunisia?
A. For travel to Albania, Morocco or Tunisia you will need to buy cover for Worldwide 1.
Q. Who underwrites BMC Travel Insurance?
A. Endurance Worldwide Insurance Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sompo International Holdings Ltd. Registered Office: 2 Minister Court, 1st Floor, Mincing Lane, London, EC3R 7BB. Endurance Worldwide Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulatory Authority.
Q. How many days am I actually covered per year under the Annual Multi-Trip policy?
A. Annual Multi-trip policies are available with a limit of 45 days abroad per individual trip; 60 days abroad per individual trip; or 90 days abroad per individual trip.
Q. Do the limits under the policy apply per person or per policy?
A. Each of you is covered separately up to the limits shown in the Details of Cover. The policy limits apply in the same way as they would if you had each taken separate policies.
Q. Am I covered for holidays in the United Kingdom?
A. Yes, provided you spend at least one night in accommodation you booked before your departure, or if the sole purpose of the trip is to take part in a sport or leisure activity for which you have bought cover. Whichever policy you buy, some benefits are not payable for holidays in the UK. Please see the Policy Summary document and Policy Document for full details.
Q. What happens if my journey home is delayed beyond the insurance period?
A. If your journey home is delayed beyond your control and you do not get back into the country until after your policy has expired, your cover will continue (up to 60 days) until for example, your airline or ferry operator can get you home.
Q. Is ski-racing (and other competitive disciplines) covered?
A. No. Competitive winter sports are not covered under any BMC policy with the exception of Ski-Mountaineering Racing in and approved events.
Q. Will this policy cover a business trip, working or volunteering holiday?
A. BMC Travel Insurance primarily covers leisure trips. However, cover for bar work, fruit and vegetable picking, restaurant work and business trips (non-manual, e.g. office or attending a conference) is included in all policies as standard. Cover for hill walking, climbing, mountaineering and ski guides and instructors is included provided that the ‘Professional’ cover option has been bought.
Q. What about government-issued travel advice?
A. BMC Travel Insurance does not cover any Trip to a destination which is an area where the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) has advised against 'all travel' or that part of any Trip which involves travel within an area where the FCDO has advised against 'all travel' (all cover under this insurance will cease immediately if You enter such an area, will recommence immediately You leave such an area and exclude any claims arising directly or indirectly out of or in connection with any event or circumstances which occur in such an area).
Q. If I have BMC Travel & Activity Insurance, do I still need to carry a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?
A. Yes. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to get state-provided healthcare in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland at a reduced cost or sometimes free of charge. If you use your EHIC to reduce the cost of a medical claim, then the excess (£95) will not be deducted from your claim.

Which policy is for me?

Q. I can’t find what I’m looking for, can you help
A. Email the details to
Q. Which should I choose? Single Trip or Annual Multi-Trip travel?
A. you're likely to be going on trips more than once a year, you may well find that an Annual Multi-Trip policy is more convenient and cost effective than taking out a separate policy each time you travel. Just calculate the cost of buying a number of Single Trip policies and compare it with the cost of Annual Multi-Trip. Other factors to consider are, for instance, that it takes time to repeatedly buy new policies and it may slip your mind if you’re booking a late deal. Multi-trip cover is not available for ‘High Altitude and Remote Areas’ policies, or non-activity ‘Travel’ Policies.
Q. How long can a single trip policy last?
A. Single trip policies can last up to 365 days. However, for trips to USA, Canada, Caribbean and Polar regions this is reduced to a maximum of 45 days.
Q. I'm going on a long trip but only going rock climbing for one week, can I take out cover just for that week?
A. No. You must take out cover for the entire trip, taking into account all activities likely to be undertaken. So, if you were travelling for one year, but doing just one climb in Thailand and spending the rest of the time on the beach, you’d still need ‘Rock’ cover for the entire time.
Q. How do I choose my period of cover?
A. Your insurance policy must cover the whole of your round trip. Cover would normally start on the day that you leave your home address in the UK and must remain in place until you return home.
Q. I work as an instructor / guide. Can I buy cover?
A. Yes, the BMC has made special provision for hill walking, climbing, mountaineering and ski guides and instructors. You will need the 'Professional' cover option which extends the cover benefits to the policyholder during their work time. This is with the exception of 'Personal Liability'. During work time liability should be covered by a separate employer's liability or professional indemnity policy.
Q. Do I need to add increased personal property cover to my travel insurance?
A. BMC policies cover a total of £2,500 of personal property, with a single item limit of £500, and a limit in respect of valuables of £500 total. Increased personal property covers £3,500 of personal property, but the limit on any single item remains at £500 and the limit in respect of valuables remains at £500 total.

Changing your mind

Q. Can I change my policy details?
A. If you have an Annual Multi -Trip policy and need to update information about yourself, such as a change of name, address or telephone number just contact the BMC office. We can re-issue an updated policy schedule if this is required. If you need to add or upgrade sports and activities cover, BMC will just need to issue a new policy and schedule. Just call on +44 (0) 161 445 6111 to make these changes.
Q. I no longer want the policy – can I alter it or cancel it?
A. Yes. If the cover does not meet your requirements you may return it to the BMC within 14 days of purchase. A full refund will be made provided you have not travelled, made, or are intending to make, a claim. No refunds will be made if you cancel your policy after 14 days. If you need to amend your cover before departure then contact the BMC office. You will need to pay any additional premium and there may be charges to cover the costs of administration.